What Are Beacons?
The term beacon has been a buzzword for a few years now. Beacons are used by large retail companies to help push information and notifications to users while they are shopping. Have you ever been out shopping, check your phone and notice an ad or notification pop up about an item sold in the store? If yes, then you know that the store has implemented a beacon to enhance its reach to customers like you.
What’s New With Google’s Project Beacon?
Within the past few months, Google has improved the beacon technology and made it more compact. New beacons are being distributed to companies that advertise using Google Ads and location extensions. If you would like a beacon, visit this page to request one. The Google Beacons are part of an initiative called Project Beacon and are vastly different than general beacons. Project Beacon technology’s main difference is its focus on gathering data, rather than using it to target customers. Project Beacon is integrated with Google Ads and Google My Business to help display more accurate information to customers and curious searchers. Using these beacons can help improve the accuracy of information that users see when they search your business such as improved location verification and busiest times of the day.
How to Set Up Project Beacon:
- Before opening the package, take note of the “Activation Code” in the top right corner of the tracking sticker. This will be crucial for the setup process.
- Open the package and remove the beacon from the box. Place your beacon in a centrally located position within your store or office. Be sure to keep it hidden. For example, hide it behind something on a shelf or attach it to the ceiling in a corner.
- To complete the online portion of the setup process, visit this page. On the next screen, you will be asked if you have the activation code. Choose Yes, and then Next.
- Enter your activation code and choose Yes to the second question. If you would like to complete a three-question survey, you can select Sure to the last question.
- Once you have completed all the steps you are good to go! Sit back and enjoy the results
If you are interested in learning how to get started with Project Beacon, give us a call at 301-725-8000.