What Are Beacons?
The term beacon has been a buzzword for a few years now. Beacons are used by large retail companies to help push information and notifications to users while they are shopping. Have you ever been out shopping, check your phone and notice an ad or notification pop up about an item sold in the store? If yes, then you know that the store has implemented a beacon to enhance its reach to customers like you.
What’s New With Google’s Project Beacon?
Within the past few months, Google has improved the beacon technology and made it more compact. New beacons are being distributed to companies that advertise using Google Ads and location extensions. If you would like a beacon, visit this page to request one. The Google Beacons are part of an initiative called Project Beacon and are vastly different than general beacons. Project Beacon technology’s main difference is its focus on gathering data, rather than using it to target customers. Project Beacon is integrated with Google Ads and Google My Business to help display more accurate information to customers and curious searchers. Using these beacons can help improve the accuracy of information that users see when they search your business such as improved location verification and busiest times of the day.
How to Set Up Project Beacon:
- Before opening the package, take note of the “Activation Code” in the top right corner of the tracking sticker. This will be crucial for the setup process.
- Open the package and remove the beacon from the box. Place your beacon in a centrally located position within your store or office. Be sure to keep it hidden. For example, hide it behind something on a shelf or attach it to the ceiling in a corner.
- To complete the online portion of the setup process, visit this page. On the next screen, you will be asked if you have the activation code. Choose Yes, and then Next.
- Enter your activation code and choose Yes to the second question. If you would like to complete a three-question survey, you can select Sure to the last question.
- Once you have completed all the steps you are good to go! Sit back and enjoy the results
If you are interested in learning how to get started with Project Beacon, give us a call at 301-725-8000.
We live in a digital world cluttered with apps, widgets, browser extensions, and more that exist to help us stay organized and on task. With all the technological choices available, what are the benefits of giving your clients or employees a traditional calendar? Here are seven reasons:
Continue Reading »
Enjoy a delicious lunch and an afternoon of learning with our Digital Marketing Manager and Director of Clients. Our team will lead a discussion on the growing importance of Google My Business and Local SEO as related to managing your business’s growth and online reputation. We will also provide insights on how to maximize your social media marketing using organic and paid methods, as well as ways to help with the time management of it.
When: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, from 11:30am – 2:00pm
Where: Millennium Marketing Solutions ( Get Directions )
Recently, Google published a revision to its content policy indicating that one should not “discourage or prohibit negative reviews or selectively solicit positive reviews from customers”.
What does the policy update mean?
The policy update means that a business should not pre-filter unfavorable reviews from appearing online. This process is referred to as review-gating. One way in which businesses actively review-gate is when utilizing a review-soliciting software that emails customers asking them about their experience. If a customer indicates they had a poor experience they are then directed to provide feedback that will only be seen internally, while a customer who indicates a positive experience will be prompted to provide a 5-star review on a public platform, such as Google Reviews. Google’s policy update is aimed at providing its users with the most relevant, informative, and robust information possible which includes both positive and negative business reviews.
How does the update affect my business?
Business owners should take steps to ensure that any software used to communicate with customers have the gating feature deactivated. If your business manages reviews internally, it is best practice not to individually select only happy customers to email asking for great reviews.
What are the consequences of continuing to review-gate?
If someone notices that you are review-gating and reports you to Google, there is the possibility that Google may remove any reviews received since the policy update announcement. As previously mentioned, if you use a third-party service to filter customer reviews, contact the service and make sure your settings are appropriately adjusted.
Need help managing your online reputation the right way? Contact us!
As a Google Partner, Millennium Marketing Solutions hosts Google-specific educational events throughout the year. On May 2, 2018, in honor of Small Business Week, we hosted a “Google Bites” luncheon for a group of local business owners and marketing professionals. Google’s live webinar covered a range of topics including the power of Google My Business, local citations/listings, and tips on how to connect with today’s consumers.
In case you missed it, here are some of the key takeaways we learned:
- Today’s consumers are curious – 87% of smartphone owners turn to search first in a moment of need and there has been 80% growth in mobile searches for “best” in the past 2 years.
- Today’s consumers are demanding – More than 85% growth in mobile searches for “where to buy (product)”.
- Today’s consumers are impatient – there has been a 3x increase in “open now” searches.
Stay ahead of the game, use Google My Business
This is a powerful, FREE tool from Google that allows you to claim and maintain your digital footprint. Once you claim your listing through a postcard or phone verification you have complete ownership of your citation.
Ownership of a citation requires that you constantly monitor it because Google is always rolling out updates, consumers can leave reviews (which you should always acknowledge whether they are positive or not), and anyone can request changes to it.
When you have a complete Google My Business listing, studies show that the end user is 2.7x more likely to consider your business reputable. Your business is 70% more likely to attract a location visit and 50% more likely to lead to a purchase.
Some of the amazing tools of Google My Business include:
- Google Posts – Google allows you to create a post that lives on your citation for up to 7 days. These posts help keep your information fresh and can provide business or product updates to the consumer. Millennium utilizes this tool for our clients to post offers, open houses, specials, and more.
- Videos – Google recently released the ability to share videos on your citation. When sharing videos, it’s important to think about the story you’re trying to tell. Considering front-loading your script and have a plan for your message.
- Reviews – Nothing is more important on Google My Business than reviews. Reviews give users the ability to share their experience. You can read and reply to these reviews as well as provide useful feedback. By doing this, you create loyal followers.
There is so much more that you can do with your Google My Business listing. If you are ready to claim your listing, let us help you. Our team of digital marketing experts are ready to help. Thank you to those who attended the event, if you couldn’t make it, sign up for our newsletter and stay up-to-date on upcoming events!
Google searches for “near me” have seen a huge increase in the last four years. Which means when someone near your business searches for the products and services you offer, it is essential that your business’s information comes up in the results.
Join us for an exclusive event co-hosted with Google discussing digital marketing and local search, where you will learn:
- Tips on targeting your local audience
- How to create a business listing
- How to get the most from Google My Business
When: Wednesday, May 2, 2018, from 11:30am – 1pm
Are you looking for a new approach to marketing? Millennium Marketing Solution’s team of experts believe that a multi-faceted marketing plan will help you achieve your 2018 business goals. For 30 years, we have helped our clients successfully grow their business with new ideas and proven marketing methods. We want to share with you what we have seen work. Follow along this year as we provide you with our multi-installment marketing series: Marketing to the 360th Degree. We will touch on industry topics that include digital marketing, strategy, design, printing, promotional products, trade shows, social media, and branding. We are kicking off our first installment by focusing on trade show marketing.Continue Reading »
Facebook’s recent announcement will impact every business that uses Facebook as part of their marketing and communications efforts. Whether you ride this wave of changes to the top of the News Feed or are banished to No Fan’s Land depends entirely on your strategy.Continue Reading »
There are plenty of reasons to love advertising on YouTube, but we’ll start with the obvious: it’s an inexpensive, yet effective way to reach your target audience, and that potential audience is huge! In fact, consumers aged 18-49-years-old regularly watch YouTube in place of broadcast TV or any of the cable networks. Altogether, over a billion hours of YouTube content are watched collectively every single day and there is a very good chance your customers or clients can be targeted on YouTube through advertising.Continue Reading »
Now that we are fast approaching the end of the year, it is time to start thinking about trends for 2018. The biggest trend we see in promo? Technology-centered promotional items are hot! According to Forbes, the Millennial generation currently makes up one in three employees in the U.S. – tech savvy, socially involved, and incredibly diverse. In layman’s terms? Cheap is out – value is in!Continue Reading »